My name is Athanasios. This blog is an outgrowth of my endeavour to discover beauty, truth and honour. It is intended to deal primarily with my exploration of traditional Christianity, the humanities, and assorted political and cultural thought. My other blogs are miniature-art and civility-in-america.
Free counters!

Random Post #22: Moulding my spelling skills

I am typing something and spellchecker keeps insisting that “mould” is not a word, which was perplexing me. So, I finally looked in the dictionary. Allegedly, “mold” is the normal American spelling, and “mould” is the normal British spelling. This claim is news to me. I have been speaking English all my life, and have always lived in the United States. I have always spelt the container that holds cooling liquid “mould”, and the fungi that grow on food “mold”. I am honestly shocked by the dictionary’s claims: both regarding “mould” being chiefly British, and regarding the container and the fungi being spelt the same. Have I really been spelling this word different than everyone around me and not noticing? Am I abnormal for using different spellings for different meanings?

How do you spell this word, and does your spelling vary according to meaning?

5 notes   May 18th, 2013  

  1. pedestrian-palamite answered: I’ve always used the American spelling. I think I connected it with the verb “to mold”.
  2. loveenglandloveenglish reblogged this from orthopraxis and added:
    In Britain, both the fungus and the casting tool are “mould”.
  3. rapid-apathy answered: I’d say that dict. is very wrong!
  4. orthopraxis posted this
install theme